Chatham, Ma T-Skew Data
Brookhaven, NY (South side of LI Sound middle of island)
- temp drop 3.5 deg every 1000ft
- inversion layer (hot air on top of cold air can stop sea breeze/mixing)
- Sea breeze needs about 8-12 deg F
- Temperature Curve (B) -- This is the plot of the temperature measurements that were taken from the rawinsonde as it was increasing in height. This curve will always be to the right of the dewpoint curve as you are facing a Skew-T. It is usually drawn in red but can be other colors
- Absolutely Stable – If the slope of the T curve is less than the slope of the saturation adiabat and the slope of the dry adiabat then the layer is considered absolutely stable.
- Absolutely Unstable – If the slope of the T curve is greater than the slope of the dry adiabat and the saturation adiabat, the layer is considered absolutely unstable.